The Last Spike
Located 15 km west of Griffin Lake Lodge on the Trans Canada Highway. British Columbia joined the Dominion Of Canada in 1871, with the understanding that the Canadian Government would build a railway joining B.C. to the rest of Canada. Craigellachie is the site of the “Last Spike” driven to complete construction of the Canadian Pacific Railway on November 7, 1885. Craigellachie was a train station and water fuel stop, abandoned by the CPR in the late 1950’s. Today the national historic site is a picnic area park well worth the visit. Wheelchair accessible. Restrooms.